Friday, March 6, 2009

March 6, 2009

Interesting things have taken place. But I'm going to hold off for now.

Yesterday I did an interview with Michael Portantiere of afterelton.com. Today I was interviewed by Chris Byrne from Gay City News. When the articles are online I will post them here.

In the meantime, unrelated to "Legends!", Charles and I are quoted in an Advocate article by David Colman (my publicist in LA for "I Could Go On Lip-Synching!" in 1991) about the new Drew Barrymore/Jessica Lange movie "Grey Gardens" which has the same title as the famous documentary and Broadway musical, and is a feature film about the two Edies. Here is the article.

Last night I went to see Jane Fonda at the Eugene O'Neill Theatre on Broadway in Moises Kaufman's Broadway play "33 Variations." It was thrilling to see her in the flesh! Jane was a teenage idol of mine, while growing up in Hazlehurst, Mississippi (pop. 4500). I have a memory of seeing "They Shoot Horses, Don't They?" on my birthday when I was an adolescent, but maybe it was another day. Whatever day it was, it was a special occasion, and I felt terribly adult seeing this very mature, bleak film. (I connected melancholy with being adult.) I talked about this movie for months. I'm still talking about it! Although, now I have to say I think "Klute" is a superior movie and Jane is even better in it.

Another memory I have, is the 1972 presidential election. Or was it 68? Anyway, I was in high school, and all the students were too young to vote of course, but we staged a mock election. The results were read over the school intercom. It went something like this: "Hubert Humphrey, so-and-so number of votes. George McGovern, so-and-so number of votes. George Wallace, so-and-so number of votes. Stokeley Carmichael (a "write-in"), thirteen votes. Jane Fonda, one vote." I had written in Jane's name!

Here's something about "Legends!": I handed the postcard to someone and she thought Charles and I were supposed to be 2 of the other women on "The View!" Another person saw the postcard and thought Whoopi was a Whoopi impersonator! People!

Also, someone asked me since Whoopi is not in the promo video (she didn't want to participate), was she actually at the photo session, or was she photoshopped in? Nope. She was there.

No comments: