Tuesday, March 10, 2009

March 10, 2009

Today we had our first day of actually blocking out scenes. We rehearsed onstage at the Henry Street Settlement Playhouse at the Abrons Arts Center, way east on Grand St. at the corner of Pitt St. It was great to be able to rehearse on a stage. We rehearsed from 12 to 2:15.

Before I went to rehearsal I did an interview with Edge. I don't know what Edge is! Is it a hard copy publication or only online? And is it New York or Boston? Anyway, I did it. The last question the interviewer asked me was, "What is your favorite bad movie?" I could only think of "Wicked Woman!" (See below.)

Right after the interview, just before I ran out the door, I called the Nederlander office to make sure Mr. Nederlander, Jr.'s assistant had the information about Mr. Nederlander's tickets.

After rehearsal I walked west on Grand St. through Chinatown and Little Italy and picked up a piece of salmon.

Back home there were emails to answer and exercises to do.

At 6:45 I showed up at a gay restaurant and bar called Ate Ave, on 8th Avenue...of course! Next Magazine was having one of their professional networking events there called NextWorks and they were promoting "Legends!" Lily Tomlin has told me how even she has to hustle to sell tickets for her show, so though I find it very difficult to go to events like this and be chatty with strangers, I did it. (A large Stella Artois on draft helped!) I handed out postcards, had my photo taken, talked with strangers, etc. The publicist Michael Borowski was there, and Robert McNamara and Michael Cohen from Friends In Deed. It was fairly painless, except it was very loud and I had to speak more loudly than I would like to. The sad news is that when I got home I saw that the ring I wear on my right hand - a gold wedding band that belonged to my step-grandfather - was missing. Maybe it came off when I took off a glove. And I hate to sound suspicious, but perhaps one of the people who shook my hand was a professional and slipped the ring off. I've never had trouble with my rings and winter gloves before. I didn't go back to the place, or try to call them. It was a madhouse. Maybe I'll call them tomorrow when they're not so busy. I would like to have the ring back, but I'm prepared to let it go. I still have my other two, and I put them away, not to wear them again, maybe! They have more sentimental value. A sour note to a day that should have been very nice. Well, it's only an object.

No comments: