Saturday, March 28, 2009

March 28, 2009

There were no critics invited to "Legends!" It was a one-night staged reading, not a preview of an official production. Of course, everybody's a critic, especially in a democracy where the internet is popular.

A Provincetown drag queen who finagled a ticket to "Legends!" for himself had these excerpts to say about the show on his blog. I've removed some of his ruder comments that really have nothing to do with the show: "I am not sure this will interest anyone outside of NYC but last night I had the pleasure of attending 'Legends!' at Town Hall starring drag divas Charles Busch and Lypsinka and TV host and movie star Whoopi Goldberg. 'Legends!' is a tired old play about two faded rival movie stars whose careers need reviving. The conflict begins when a young upstart playwright has the perfect stage vehicle for the two of them, but will they put their differences aside and agree to star in this possible hit? Who cares! John Epperson (Lypsinka) has done his very best to refresh the play with some new jokes and current pop references...but the entire cast knows it is a stinker and occasionally they slyly state this throughout the performance letting the audience in on the joke and taking the sting away from the sluggish play. That being said, watching Charles and Lypsinka duke it out on stage was wonderfully entertaining. Lypsinka looked lovely and thin in a gorgeous purple dress accented by oodles of diamonds and a fur cape. And Charles can command the stage [to the degree that] everyone leaves satisfied.

Sadly Whoppi Goldberg called in sick due to the flu.

All in all the event was a huge success and raised lots of money for Friends In Deed-The Crisis Center For Life Threatening Illness. Besides that we were witness to history: this was the first time that the play 'Legends!' was every performed on a NYC Stage. Hopefully it will be the last."

I guess this is what is called a mixed review! But I smell the bitter odor of sour grapes. And the onstage character is not a playwright, but a producer.

Another person who is a culture maven, and is someone I know and have socialized with, apparently got himself a free ticket (to a benefit) and then wrote about the event. I didn't read his "review" but I'm told he supports the cast but finds the play unsalvageable, racist and internally homophobic. I can understand why he thinks the play is unsalvageable (we all knew going in that the play has that reputation; that was one of our selling points!) and racist (all the characters are archetypes -- the sassy black housekeeper, the bitchy movie star, the goody two-shoes, the conniving producer, etc.), but I'm not sure about the "internally homophobic." I'm curious to know how he justifies that. (I haven't actually read his comments; they were reported to me by Michael B., the publicist for the event.)

And he left out misogynist! Many people think drag is inherently misogynist, and they are usually women. But let me point out that Gloria Steinem (who probably wouldn't remember this) told me she enjoyed my act because it was a sendup of the kind of behavior she was encouraged to display when growing up.

Some theatre people also think if you read the good reviews, you have to read the bad ones too. Here are some of the quotes from emails I received:

From a legit online theatre critic (full disclosure - I've known him for over 30 years), major-publication-journalist, and memoirist: "You were genius last night. Congrats on LEGENDS! .. you were amazing and funny and even a bit moving at times ... I loved the way you were able to underplay and be outrageously funny all at the same time. So proud of you. And it was a good cause too."

The artistic director of a downtown theatre: "John, last night was so SWELL! What a truly great night for a bad play. There were times I was laughing so hard I almost wet my pants - your entrance for example. And then when Charles flubbed up the lines toward the end. I hope you all were having as much fun as it seemed you were having. It was one of those magical NYC evenings I dreamed of when I was growing up in the Midwest."

An Off Broadway director (and good pal of Charles B.): "Congratulations to you on on a wonderful evening! Just stellar work. Your performance was absolutely pitch perfect -- delicious, hilarious and touching -- and your adaptation of Mr. Kirkwood's play was just scrumptious. You looked absolutely stunning, and it's always a thrill to get to see you play a role as well as give us a taste of of your peerless lip-syncing. Thank you for rescuing this play and getting it on a New York stage. I nearly got to see it lo those many years ago with Misses Martin and Channing but missed the booking by a week. I am so happy to have gotten to see it at last with Busch and Lypsinka. Aren't we all!!!"

Famous playwright: "Well, congrats on an evening of great fun. You can't say they didn't fall for you -- especially on your entrance. I think a good time was had by all. I thought the costumes were wonderful. Of course, the absence of Whoopi was disappointing, but in the end...you and Charles were the show. Supporting cast first rate. Dancing birthdaygram was a big hit. Bryan Batt fine. Fran Liebowitz was a surprising theatre pro and got her laughs! And one should give credit to the understudy, too. She seemed secure and didn't throw you or Charles ever. Christine was great in warming us up to her."

A friend who works in the "display" world: "john!!!!! i saw the show last night!
the show was such fun-i laughed and laughed-you looked amazing, and your moment
of dance and lip-synching was electrifying as always-god, you're great!
so happy to see you on stage again-your energy with charles was awesome."

A friend in the graphic design business: "Sorry I wasn't able to let you know sufficiently [last night] about how much I enjoyed myself and how good 'Legends!' was. Wow--I hope it gets a second life! There was so much dialogue I'd like to ponder over, and so many lines that had me absolutely doubled over. I must also say that Bryan Batt was wonderful. The Brad Pitt call and the hash brownie routine were priceless! Your entrance alone was worth the price of admission. And your ad lib when Charles stole your line. That was a brilliant moment."

Broadway and TV actress: "Thank you for your wonderful, TRUE, touchingly hilarious performance and presence. I had such a delicious time. At last I have had a glimpse of Lypsinka...I love her almost as much as I love you!!!"

Stage manager friend: "I don't think there could have possibly been any more applause on Lyp's entrance. And you looked gorgeous! Everyone else in the cast was wonderful. Truly a great evening of theater. My dear friend, Wayne, came to see the show and this is from an email he sent me yesterday: 'I had never seen Lypsinka perform before. Amazing!! Please tell him that she was hilarious and...I am now a total fan. A very smart performer, no? She balanced the line of being in the apartment and on stage so hilariously.' I couldn't agree more with his statement. Bravo to you, John, and brava to La Lyp!!"

From an employee of the managing office that handles the building I live in: "Well, I can certainly understand why the play never got to Broadway - what a clunker. Of course, refreshed with your input, and the casting, the evening was totally delightful. Thank you for sharing the fun!"

An African-American friend who works at a museum and has written some non-fiction works about popular culture: "let me be the first to congratulate you. the play was a success--everyone loved it (and the reporter in me was, most certainly, listening). i'm so proud of you for pulling this off. whoopi who? this was YOUR baby and i appreciate and respect all the hard work you put into it--and you even had a musical number--YOU BLACK BITCH!!! (yes you--not whoopi's understudy!--who, by the way, was fantastic.) the play had everything: sex, comedy, bitchiness, a dance number, a striptease, a pot-induced breakdown, a carol burnett show-like audience pleasing moment when you all stepped out of character--'she did that in every rehearsal,' and a musical finale. bravo!"

From Charles Busch: "It really was a great night. You should be very proud of yourself as writer and actor. You really did a great job in both roles. I'm very glad you involved me."

No comments: